It is one of the oldest squares in Kiev, originated during the times of Kievan Rus. After the destruction of the Upper Town by the Mongol-Tatars and until the XIX century it remained the center of the city. Previously called Aleksandrovskaya, Red. The name "Contract Square" arose from the fact that the merchants of Kiev entered into contracts on this square.  After 1795, when the third partition of Poland took place and the city of Dubno, in which the contract fair initially arose, became part of the Russian Empire - its contract fair was moved to Kiev. It was caused by the fact that Kontraktovaya Square was located near the port of Kiev, which was the main source of export-import supplies. After the development of the railway network, the importance of the port and Kontraktova Square decreased significantly, and the center of Kiev’s business life shifted to Khreshchatyk.